Monday, July 10, 2006

Lesson Learned

One thing I attempted to prepare for, based on the little I knew of Indian street-life, was the presence of children beggars. Surprisingly, none came our way until we came across a little boy who tried to sell me some cotton swabs. I wasn't interested, but gave him some pens and postcards. But the cute boy persisted with the sale, and once I gave him 20 rupees for some swabs, a cute girl, perhaps his sister, started tugging on me and I took her picture and then showed it to her in the viewfinder. I gave her some colored pencils and postcards, but she wanted to eat, so I gave her some loose change. The two kids continued to follow us and beg for food, despite our gentle efforts to leave them. (A number of adults saw what was going on and told the kids to knock it off.) Thinking they were just hustling me for more money, I asked the kids why they couldn't buy food with the money I just gave them, but they said they didn't have it. Then I remembered there was an adult near them who must have received the money. They didn't want more money from me, just something to eat, so when we went by a little fruit stand (pictured), I asked if they wanted some fruit, and they enthusiastically said they would like a mango drink. I complied and noticed another person, crippled, pointing to his mouth. I felt very happy to leave them contented, even if just for the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home