Friday, July 14, 2006

72 hours


Hi there. I made it all the way to the other end of the room without human assistance, and am sitting on a nice fluffy pillow atop a sturdy chair. I appreciate Saku's blogging for me in the interim and keeping me abreast of your comments and emails. I was able to sleep thru last night without feeling pain or needing to fill up the potty jug every hour or so like the previous two nights. (The problem with the jug was I couldn't stand it upright after filling it so I had to keep bugging the nurse or Saku to have the honor of dumping it.) Last night was fulfilling in that I could do the physical therapy exercises without too much grimacing and didn't get dizzy when I got up and moved about with the walker. Dr. Bose is a busy man - he's done at least two surgeries a day since I arrived, and visited me twice yesterday with his assistants/trainees. This picture was taken at approximately 7 pm and I'm sure he had already put in another 12 hour day. He showed me some pictures and a ten-second film of the surgery on the back of his camera and will copy it to a CD. It was bloody! Dr. Bose posesses a certain charisma - he has a youthful smile and speaks with great confidence without being pompous. A refreshing, professional style! I've never been overnight in a hospital before, so I don't know whether certain things here are routine or distinctive, but everyone who has come into my door (and there have been many) has been conscientious and pleasant. I also know, just from reading the Indian newspaper, just how low the wages are for certain service occupations. I imagine many staff here are very lowly paid, and it's amazing how much they put forth for their salaries and maintain what seems like a very natural pleasant demeanor. Saku may go outside today with some other people she's met. Staff are quite surprised when they realize that Saku speaks Tamil. Although all staff speak English clearly, some have difficulty communicating certain things and enjoy speaking in Tamil with Saku. The nurse wants to check my blood pressure now so I will depart. I plan to post once a day. Again, thank you all for your well-wishes! Gary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home